Sometime ago I decided that I wanted to watch ever movie Amy Adams ever made. Obviously this is a very unattainable goal, as there are many movies she is in that I know in my heart I couldn't sit and watch. The Muppets is just one that comes to mind. I don't know why, maybe I have a little crush on her, or maybe it's just because I love the roles she picks and I think that there must be a little piece of her in ever one of those roles. If that's the case, then I think she just might be someone I would like to know, but in all reality I would never want to meet.
Watching people, either in the movies, or in real life we sometimes think we know who they are, when in reality we have no real idea at all. We make up this idea of who they are in our minds, and we like that idea, we go with it. Sometimes, those images of people are shattered when we do get to know them, or have an opportunity to meet them, as the reality is they are nothing like what we imagined.
I remember years ago Rosie O'Donnell wanted to have Barbra Streisand on her show (back in the day of the Rosie show). I remember for months she had this campaign going on, daily she would plead with Ms. Streisand to come and sit in the chair. It became kind of a running joke, no one ever thought for a minute she would actually ever oblige her. Until one day when a phone call was pushed onto the set for Rosie and on the other end was Barbra, telling her how honored she was that Rosie wanted her there so badly, but also questioned if she did, in fact, actually want that dream to become a reality. You see, Ms. Streisand was afraid that her idea of her would change after she actually met her. That Rosie had this made up idea of who Barbra Streisand was, and by meeting her that idea, that dream would be shattered by the reality of who she really is. I can understand that, especially in this case, as Rosie identified Barbra Streisand with her dead mother, the connection between the two, and who would ever want to take that away from someone.
I have had that sort of thing happen in my life. I have gotten to know, or at least have gotten the feeling about someone, but when I actually take the time to get to know them the idea was so off...way off. I have felt disappointed, in so many ways, and sure would have like to have gone back to my imagined idea of who they were.
There is someone in my life right now that I have gotten the chance to get to know, who I once had an idea of that is completely different than what has turned out to be the reality. Yes, I feel disappointed, but it's not their fault. I didn't know who they were when I conjured up this fantasy, it's not their fault that they didn't live up to it, it's all in my head. I know that it's a let down, a loss of an ideal that I wish I hadn't had, but yet I have. It's not that this person is bad, or not someone I would like, they just aren't what I thought they were.
You don't really know anyone, do you, until you actually get to know them. I think we all make up these imaginary idea's of who the people are in our lives, and then for some reason are shocked when we discover they are not at all that way. It take a long time to really get to know someone, a long time, and a great deal of effort from both sides. I have learned that truly good friends happen over time, not over night. It's mostly because you give yourself a chance to really get to know them.
I enjoy the process of getting to know a person, what makes them tick and all that. I am truly interested in the inner workings of people, but honestly, that has become more and more difficult to do as of late. It's overwhelmingly turning into a surface world. One where we only touch the surface of people, without ever taking the time to dig a little deeper. Life has just gotten too complicated for out own good, I think. I think we have all these instruments in our daily life that are supposed to simplify our lives, but in reality they consume us. We don't have time anymore for real relationships, nothing more than a 149 digit explanation of what is happening, nothing more than a status update from time to time. All of our time goes to punching in keys and leaving the thoughts on the page.
I miss the time when we actually connected, and wanted to. I want those days back!
No comments:
Post a Comment