Contact Me

I love getting comments, however some people just want to send a email instead. You can contact me at
zebsmom@gmail.com

Thursday, December 12, 2013

A December to remember!

December is always such a ridiculously busy time for us.  I know it is for many of you, but having your only child's birthday come at the beginning sure does make the beginning fly by and we are half way through the month before we know it.  This year has just been even more busy, because for his birthday we took him to Chicago to see Wicked.

I am often amazed by the things that change my child.  Musical theatre is one of those things.  From the very beginning we noticed the difference that musical theatre had on his behavior, on his attention, on his overall well being.  It wasn't hard for us to see the changes, that kid goes from a bouncing, chatterbox in line to a quiet, focused boy while watching any sort of musical theatre.  It's like his ADHD completely disappears.  I like it.

Chicago was just one of many stops for the 1st National Tour of Wicked, and that production is staring a friend of ours from years ago when we did musical theatre in Houston Texas.  We have known Alison since she was a little girl, playing Annie.  We knew back then that if this young lady tried she would make it, and now she has.  It's just the most incredible thing to see really.  The production was outstanding, we had seen it once before a couple of years ago in Detroit, but this was the first time seeing Alison in the staring role.  There is something about watching someone doing exactly what they should be, what they were put on the earth to do, that brings tears to your eyes.  I am awestruck by her talent, but more than that I am awestruck by how little she has changed.  She was beautiful inside and out all those years ago, and is just more so now.  I can't say I am proud of her, as I have nothing to do with her success, but I can say I am proud to know her, and that has nothing to do with her success.  The pride I have for her is more about who she is, how hard she has worked, and how brave she must be.  It isn't an easy thing to follow a dream, at least a dream like this one, however, she put trust in herself knowing that if she didn't try she would never succeed.  Such an inspiring person to have in my sons life.  What she does, more than anything, is makes it possible for so many others, my son included, to believe that it is possible.  She gives so many hope.  After the show was over she took us on a back stage tour....which was beyond amazing.  My son got to learn (and in some cases explain) all the magic.  He had the opportunity to wear the witches hat, and to see how things happen during the show.  He was so excited, and we were just blown away by how she was so generous with her time and attention.  It will stay with us forever, especially my son.  I can only hope that I raise his half as well as her parents raised her, they have truly raised an amazing woman.

After returning home from Chicago the birthday celebrations continued.  We took my son and 5 of his friends out to lunch to share in his birthday with him.  It was just going to be a simple get together, just friends sitting around a table for a couple of hours enjoying each other.  He was thrilled about the whole idea, and I was thrilled by the idea of not having anything to do for it except pay the bill.  While we were sitting there (the kids being a little noiser than most other patrons that day) a man came up to our table.  He said "I hear it's someone birthday today, who's birthday is it?"  My son then turned to him and said it was his, and that he was 9.  The man said happy birthday and Merry Christmas and went about his day.  We were just so taken aback by the fact that someone took time out of their day to come over and talk to him.  It's not everyday that people do that, we were more surprised by the fact that more people in the restaurant weren't upset about the noise...so when we had something so positive happen we were thrilled.  A few minutes after the man left the waitress came over to our table and said that the man had taken care of the bill.  Well, I can't tell you just how much this touched us, I can say that tears flowed quickly, and to this day I still can't believe the generosity he showed us.  You would think that having the bill paid by a complete stranger would be the only great thing that came out of this, but what really was the greatest thing that came out of this was the fact that all those children told their parents what had happened first off, before telling them anything else.  What he did made a big impression on those 6 young minds that day, they learned exactly how it feels to do for others.  I am sure not one of those kids went away that day and didn't think about how special that made them feel, and my hope is that they will always remember that.

December has started out better than I could have ever imagined, or ever planned.  My child is different from all the amazing people that have entered, and quite honestly a parent just can't pay enough for that sort of thing.  Nothing warms your heart more than having someone make your child feel special, for no other reason than because they just exist.  Human kindness is not lost, it's still out there.  It sure does give me immense hope for the year to come.

1 comment:

  1. You write beautifully. I welled up again, reading this. Thank you for sharing a small part of your world with us :)

    ReplyDelete