Contact Me

I love getting comments, however some people just want to send a email instead. You can contact me at
zebsmom@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"The Man"

When I was 12 my parents took me to Toronto for a few days before going to Montreal for a week.  We stayed at my cousins apartment on Youge St, and let me tell you, I was like a kid in a candy store.

I had been to Toronto many times before this particular trip, I just think being 12, and knowing what all that brings, I was beyond excited about being in the big smoke.  

We went to different things, Kensington Market, St. Lawrence Market, out to dinner at a couple of cool places like the Organ Grinder.  But what I wanted to do was walk down Yonge Street all by myself and go to the most exciting store ever...."Sam The Record Man".

I left my parents at my cousins place one afternoon, went down the elevator, and onto Yonge Street all by myself.  Boy was that exciting!!  Down the street I walked, looking at the bum's sitting on the corners with their cups collecting money, hearing the noises of the traffic, it was so very exciting. 

Soon I arrived at the big record store, it's store face resembling a record turning on a turn table.  This was iconic, something I had only ever seen on TV.  I was a little intimidated by the mere size of the store, but soon I became very comfortable. 

The rows went on forever, there was a section for every single music type and I was amazed.  I was in no hurry, so I went from one section to another, looking at this and that.  The choices were so vast it was hard to decide what to take home, but finally after an hour or so I had settled on the album I was taking home.  Okay, so my choice was that of a 12 yr old, but that should not take away from the sophistication of this iconic store. 

With my album under my arm, I went out the front door and walk up the road to my cousins place, grinning from ear to ear.

Today, kids don't get to experience that excitement, that emotional feeling of walking into the biggest record store in the country and feeling like you are part of the "it" crowd.  "Sam the Record Man" was one of those stores that shouted "Toronto" to anyone and everyone.  Once you've been there, you were somewhere.

Sam "the Record Man" Sniderman passed away this past weekend.  He will always be remembered by my generation as the "Man" when it comes to amazing record stores.  I am glad I got to experience that when I was 12, I'm glad that he had a great vision and brought that, along with so many other things to the music industry here in Canada.  He was one very cool cat!!  Thanks Sam, you alone made this girl popular for a couple of hours when she was 12 and I thank you for that!!

2 comments:

  1. Fellow Canadian hailing from Toronto here. Been to Sam's! Didn't know he passed away, though. Will it stay in business?

    Oh, and by the way, what was the album?

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam the record man went out of business in 2007. Sad!

    The album was shadow dancing by Andy Gibb....I was 12!

    ReplyDelete