Contact Me

I love getting comments, however some people just want to send a email instead. You can contact me at
zebsmom@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Besties

Have you ever met a person and thought, under different circumstances we could be good good friends.  I have, a couple of times lately.

The first time was with Zeb's previous Principal.  Right from the start we kind of got each other.  I knew she understood where I was coming from, and she knew I knew where she was coming from.  We both had the same agenda, we wanted what was best for Zeb, as far as education was concerned, and neither of us were willing to lower or expectations.  We knew what had to be done, and were both willing to put in the time and energy to do it.  I felt a real kinship with her. 

If she had just been another mother, or maybe a neighbour we could have been close friends.  I wish sometimes that that had been the case, that we had just met innocently and formed a friendship rather than had this parent administrator relationship, but I know that without her my first experiences in the public school world would have been very scary.  I am grateful she was the one to hold my hand through the first couple of difficult years, and is still there if I ever have a question or concern and just need to bounce it off someone who knows a bit more, or has had a bit more experience than I have.

The second person I have felt this way about it my therapist. 

Right from the very beginning I found her easy to talk to.  I know, aren't they supposed to be easy to talk to, well yes, but it was so much easier than it had be other times I had seen therapists.  She had a way about her that was easy, comfortable, and quite frankly just more friend like than therapist/client like. 

Over the past year or so I have discovered so many similarities between the two of us, and I have looked forward to spending that hour sharing my day to day with her.  I don't really see her as a therapist, she hardly ever gives me homework, or things to work on, she just mostly listens, tells things that are common with her, makes me feel heard.  It's more like two friends having a heart to heart over tea, only she is getting paid and I am the only one really sharing my guts, yes she shares a bit but only enough to make sure I don't feel alone in things.

If I had met her in another way, I just know we would have been good friends.

It's so hard to make good friends the older we get I think.  At least that has been my experience.  People are either wrapped up in their families, or they are finished raising and are now onto me time or spouse time.  Whatever the case, it's difficult.

My therapist told me today that we only have five sessions left.  This information is not all that shocking, I knew we had to be close to the end, but the thoughts of not having that person every other week is a bit frightening.  Before therapy life was isolating, I felt like I had no one on my side, except Damie and although that is great it gets a bit dull when they are the only ones you ever get to talk to heart to heart.  I know that it's time, I'm ready to move past the therapy, I don't need it anymore, not that I really did I just needed someone to listen.  So that's the scary part for me.  I am ready to say adieu to therapy, but not to having someone really care about what I had to say, but I know I must.

I miss the days when I had heart to hearts with my best girlfriends, but those days I guess are gone once you reach my age.  My life is full, I am surrounded by a wonderful family that loves me, and I am happy, it's just this one little thing.  There really isn't anything like having that one person who, thinks of you when you haven't seen each other for a while, who can't wait to see you, and who really gets you....in a way only few do.  Very special I must say!

I hope one day to discover it again....maybe when I am old and grey!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Marie. I hadn't read your blog before, but had the priviledge just now of reading it. I admire your willingness to share. I too have had the 'if only this were a different kind of situation, so this person could be a friend', and always feel kinda sad, because that connection can be so awesome and there's that 'shoulda woulda coulda' been able to develop as a friendship. It sounds like you have had a terrific connection with your therapist, and being one myself, I can imagine that it has been very rewarding from the other chair as well as yours. The thing about therapy is that it really doesn't magically happen in the session, it happens between sessions and in real life, hopefully during the rest of our lives, but you know that already, clearly. Well, if you ever want to go for a walk or get a decaf coffee or water, know that I would be happy to get to know you better as a friend. Take gentle care. -Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's the way it goes sometimes. If I remember correctly, we size on another up in the first 10 seconds and make a decision. Life is strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do know what you mean---i can see people and just know that i would like them or that we connect somehow---now though it has gotten kinda bad, i am feeling connections for others---my son and "dil" just had a birthday party for one of the kids and one of the moms stayed with her child---i told my son and the lady, that i thought she and my "dil" could become really close friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing I ever learned about love was that it wasn't just a silly emotion, but rather action. Although I am no Christian, I do like the words written on love in the book of Corinthians.

    ReplyDelete