This is the season where we rejoice in our beliefs and enjoy time and fellowship with our kin. This season means so many different things to so many different people, yet some feel that what they believe far outweighs what other's believe.
Christian's, the world over, feel this season marks the birth of their saviour "Jesus Christ" because that is what the bible tells them is so. For Jews this is a season to celebrate light, as a miracle happened here all those years ago. For some it is a time to reflect on their heritage, to unit as a people, and celebrate where they have come from and what they have been through during their week long celebration of Kwanzaa!
Some, not all but some, are angry that we are not encouraged to say "Merry Christmas" during this time of year. Some feel they should have every right to say it. Well they should, I agree. I also agree that on buildings, in schools, and any other public facility there should not be a definite holiday declared, as there are many during this time of year. I feel that "Merry Christmas" should not be written on the town hall of cities and towns, as not everyone in that city or town celebrates Christmas, just as I don't feel that there should be "Happy Hanukkah", or "Happy Kwanzaa" should be written on said town halls. I think writing "Happy Holiday's" on public buildings unites us, not divides us.
To think that one religion should supersede another during this time of year is arrogant. Doesn't arrogance go against what is taught in the bible. Did Jesus not embrace all creatures, peoples and animals? Did he turn his back on ones who did not believe in him, or what he said. Not in the book I read. Jesus, in fact, was a Jew. If he were alive today he would be lighting the candles of the Menorah during this time of year, not opening presents under a Christmas tree left by Santa.
I think that understanding that "You" are not more important than "them" is a wonderful lesson this time of year. That what "You" believe, is not more important than anyone one else's beliefs, and that how you want to celebrate, speak, and address this holiday is entirely your decision and right. If you wish to say "Merry Christmas" then do so, if you would rather say "Happy Holiday's" then go ahead, neither one is less or more important than the other.
I am tired of fighting, it seems a bit against the whole thing doesn't it. It seems to me that all of the celebrations during this time have one thing in common. They all want to bring people together and share, share their food, their gifts, and their time. It's really about rejoicing with all, and acknowledging what "once happened here".
At our house we light the menorah, we buy Christmas presents and we celebrate all of us living together.
Love one another, don't divide, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. "You" don't really matter, but what you "DO" does!
No comments:
Post a Comment