Contact Me

I love getting comments, however some people just want to send a email instead. You can contact me at
zebsmom@gmail.com

Friday, May 25, 2012

I miss boring!!

I haven't blogged in awhile. It's been a busy month for us, we are trying to get all of the appointments out of the way so that the summer can be clear and free to do the things we love to do, like spend the entire day in the pool!!

It has been really hot the last few days, and I can tell you this, mommy is not a happy camper when she gets too hot!

When we came and looked at this place last Aug. we were undecided at first. The place seemed a bit on the older side, it didn't look like anyone had done anything to it since the 70's including a good cleaning, and there was no central air. Damie is from Texas and has never lived without central air, and I have become very used to it. It is efficient, you can go from room to room and feel the same, I like that. The landlord told us, as we stood out at the road trying to decide about the place, that he was going to install central air in the spring, as well as replace the furnace and remove the dilapidating boat out of the backyard. Well, you know how the story goes, it's spring, we still look at this ugly boat in the backyard, there has been no furnace replacement, he has priced central air and has decided against it, and on top of all of that Damie and I paid an inspector to come and look into the smell that we have been dealing with for months to find out that the place has a high count of mold. UUGGG!! To say the least. I am not a happy camper. I have to tell you, although I love knowing that I am home for Zeb every single day of his life, it sucks being poor. I don't mind not getting things, but not having alot of money takes away your ability to make choices. It's a very hard struggle for me, as I know I need to be home with Zeb, but I so want to have the money needed to make better choices. Today, the landlord is coming out to our house, and he is bringing a portable air conditioner. He saw it at Costco and thinks it will cool our entire house. I have done some research and there is no way this thing is going to cool much, if any of the house, not to mention it is not going to get rid of the moisture problem we have here.

This past weekend was our long weekend. It is the start of our summer here, and the heat sure did follow. Last weekend was beautiful, sunny everyday and we were able to get out and play in the backyard. Zeb is allergic to sunscreen, and although we know this we don't give up on trying different stuff. We usually try something new at the beginning of the summer, with the hopes that maybe this one will work, or that he has outgrown this allergy. Last Saturday we tried something new. That night he took a long bath and the next day was good. On Monday morning he woke up with his cheeks three times the size as normal and bright red. He had bumps all over them, his ears, and arms, all the places I put the sunscreen!! Poor little guy, I felt so bad. He said it didn't bother him much, but I knew it must have. Off to the store we went to get some benadryl and some cream. I felt like a really bad mommy, that's for sure. We sent him to school the next day with two hats and a nice letter to the teacher explaining the rash and that he must wear his hat at all times outdoors. I can see it now, the kid will get skin cancer at 40 and that will be just one more thing he can blame me on...what can you do! On Wednesday he and I had dentist appointments and he was going to have to stay home from school that day to accommodate them. I decided that since the rash wasn't much better to make a trip to the walk in clinic before our appointments. The doctor agreed with my assessment and prescribed a nice cortisone cream to take away the itch and inflammation. Then it was off to the dentist. My appointment was first so Zeb took a nice seat in the corner of the exam room. I was there because I thought maybe I had a cavity, since occasionally I felt some pain, but not that much. They took an ex ray and there was no cavity, just a filling that had come loose and needed to be replaced. Then the dentist says to me, "you know, since we have to freeze you anyway why don't we take that wisdom tooth on that side out at the same time?" Now this is something he says to me ever single time I am sitting in that chair, and I have always said no. This time was no exception, I replied with, "no, you always say that, and I always say no" to him saying "well at least I am consistent" hee hee!! Then, after talking to me about it for what seemed like forever, and then getting his assistant to also assist him in his quest to get my wisdom tooth, I gave in. What was I going to do, they were ganging up on me. So, needless to say, I went away frozen on my right side, with a filling fixed and missing a tooth on my right side at the top. I now only have one wisdom tooth left, and I am sure the next time I am in there they will gang up on me again to take that one out!

I came home from the dentist and cut the lawn. I hadn't eaten since the morning and could eat because of the freezing so what else am I going to do. After cutting the lawn I took a nice cool shower and started dinner. We were going to have pork chops, potato's make my special way (Damie really likes them, so I do them often even though they take some work) and green beans. I went out to the back deck to turn on the bbq to heat it up and then went into the kitchen to get the meat etc. I was only in the kitchen a few minutes, maybe 5 and then headed out to the deck to put the meat on the bbq. When I opened the door there was a large fire on the deck right beside the bbq. The flames were at least a foot, maybe more high!! I ran into the house, filled a bucket with water and hurried to get it on the fire. It took care of all the flames, but I needed more, so off I went again to get the pail full. After the second pail the smoke went away and I was left with a huge mess of plastic and wood burned on the deck. It seems that the towel we had used to dry the dogs feet off that morning, that was laying on the plastic shelve of the bbq had caught on fire and burned the towel, the plastic shelf, and most of one plastic wheel. I was lucky it hadn't got to the house, as it was right next to it. I can't tell you how much that scared me. I have never had anything like this happen before, and have been a bit nervous about using the bbq since. I did bbq our pork chops that night, and when Damie came home she scrapped up most of the burned mess. Now the deck looks a little scared, but not as bad as I thought it might. I will sand it down sometime over the course of the next few days, and it will be as good as new.

So, you can see, this week has been crazy, or as Anderson Cooper says cray cray! I go see my therapist today, which is always fun. I like having a paid friend to listen to all my woe's. I am sure she will hear it all.

I really miss boring!

2 comments:

  1. wow that bbq thing is kinda scary--glad it wasn't any worse---i know the feeling of not being able to give my kids what i want to--right now i am struggling with the fact, that i have a daughter--who really is an excellent dancer--but we just cannot swing the lessons anymore--it just about killed us for all the years we did do it--at least she gets to take ballroom for free---i hope your son's rash is okay now--and i so relate to the air-conditioner thing--our heat pump had been broken for many years, so in the winter we used our emergency heat and in the hot weather we had two window units--just recently, our son and one of his friends hooked up a used heat pump our nephew had given us and now we have central heat and ac---i knew God would send someone in His time---i pray many blessing on your family today---and don't be afraid to grill--it was just a freak thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. M- you have been busy but all necessary things to get off the list. I grew up poor and well, what it does for me now is make me very practical so while it is frustrating for a mom, it didn't scar me so give yourself a break...

    ReplyDelete