We have all met people in our lives who may not ever play a large role, but impact us none the less. These people have that something special that draws you too them and are what I would consider to be bigger than life.
In high school I was invisible. I had some friends but just a very small select group. We ate lunch together, sometimes worked on home work together, sometimes went to the dances together. I was not one of those people who you would call a social butterfly, it just wasn't me. I would say that I was friendly, and for the most part liked almost everyone, but never really made any sort of a bang.
There were people who were social butterfly's, they floated around and everyone took notice. Some of them were more friendly than other's, some were just so full of themselves they didn't even notice you were alive. I always like the ones who just had this way about them, a sense of self, and just oozed with confidence, even if they didn't actually have any. They were kind of larger than life, and very well liked. One of those people died today, and I have spent the day thinking about what a great person he was.
This guy had a smile that just said, "Hey how are you". When he spoke to you he had this way of making you feel like you were the most important person in the world. He had these smoky eyes that just screamed friendliness, the kind that seem to smile all by themselves. When he walked down the hall his whole body looked like it was happy. I don't think there was anyone who didn't like him and want to be around him.
He was one of the smartest people I had ever met. He knew so much about everything and loved to debate with anyone about anything. I remember on more than one occasion him debating with this teacher or that and actually getting them to look at things differently. He had his beliefs and loved to show you how they actually made sense. It was always a lot of fun to watch. He lived in a way that was just so easy, nothing ever seemed to get him down. His arms were always open, just waiting for the next hug, and he gave great ones. No matter what the circumstances were, he was there to hold your hand offer you a shoulder and hand you a beer. I need more people like that in my life.
It's hard to lose people your own age. It wakes you up to how little time we all actually have, even if we live to be a rip old age. Life is so short, too short. This particular death has hit me very hard. I wasn't good friends with him, I haven't even seen him for 20 something years, but it has made me realize how much more I need to do. He showed everyone he ever came into contact with how full life can be by living every day to the fullest. He had a zest, a drive, a desire to experience all that he could. I really think he was put on this earth to show all of us what it's all about.
It's people like him that make you appreciate the good people. There are so many people who just care about themselves, don't care what they do, how they do it or who they hurt doing it. I have no time or energy for those types of people any more. I want more Brian's in my life, and I want to use this loss as a symbol. I want to find more like him, and I want to be more like him. His death has reminded me about the good things, and that is what he brought to me today!
Happy Birthday Brian, may you Rest In Peace!
Beautifully written Marie.
ReplyDeleteKate L
xo
Lovely Marie-just read the obits for today-did not know him personally but remembered the name-what a nice tribute!!
ReplyDeleteCorina