I woke up this morning in kind of a bad mood. I had been dreaming about the battery in Zeb's fire truck, and it made me angry all over again. Zeb has this battery operated fire truck. We sold alot of his baby stuff at a mom to mom sale when he was three and purchased the fire truck with the money we made. It's a really nice thing, he can go all over in it and it even has a little hose that actually sprays water. He has had hours and hours of fun with it. Well last winter we put it in the garage as we usually did, and put the battery down in the basement so that we could charge it every month or so, as again, we had usually done. Well the basement flooded and continued to flood for almost 4 months, and recharging the battery kind of took a back seat. This past spring when we took the fire truck out of the garage and put the battery in it, it didn't work. We tried charging it again but still no go. So off to Toys R Us to see about getting another battery. Well if you wouldn't know it, they sold us the toy but did not carry the battery that goes with the toy. We were told that someone else might carry it, but they didn't know who that someone else might be or we could look online. Well this made me mad and that's what I woke up to this morning. The battery is online and it's at a cost of $100.00, one third of the price of the toy. Outrageous!!
Yesterday, I got a call from a women who is moving to Toronto and in need of someone to come clean her house before the new tenants come to pick up the keys at 6:30 pm Saturday night. She wondered if I might be able to do it. I had put an ad online to do house cleaning a couple of days earlier and this was the first nibble. I was surprised I had someone asking so quickly, but not actually looking forward to cleaning on a Sat. I called Damie to see what her take on it was, and she was game so I called the lady back and told her that "we" would be happy to help her out Sat afternoon. She assured me that it wasn't much, since she had the whole house deep cleaned a couple of months ago, and there was no longer any furniture left so it would be just some vacuuming and a little light dusting here and there. I gave her a price of about $40.00 since she thought that it would take two people a couple of hours to do the work. I don't think Damie was all that excited about losing some of our Sat. for $40.00, but I thought it was fair, and since she was so nice on the phone I felt it was a good deal.
Saturday always goes so fast for us, we usually spend the mornings just chilling and the afternoons doing something fun. Today seemed to fly by and the time to go and clean was quick approaching. All three of us got ready, Damie put the stuff we would need in the car and Zeb collected things to do to entertain himself while we cleaned. We arrived almost on time and all walked to the door. Soon after entering, I realized there was a bit more work to be done than she had indicated the day before, but no matter, we were going to have to get it done in two hours so that our whole day wasn't shot. As for Zeb he lucked out. They had two girls, both around his age that were delighted to have him there to play, which took a huge load off my mind as I hadn't mentioned he would be in tow and also I knew he would stay out of every one's way if he was occupied by two other kids in the house. We started on the third floor, which as it turns out was the cleanest, but still had a fair amount of dust bunnies hanging around. I finished the stairs case, and started in the basement. It was pretty clean by the time I got there, Damie had scrubbed the bathroom and laundry room sink, which from what I understand was quite a mess as there had been painters there for a few weeks and had left quite a mess for them. As we got to the main floor I had worked up a sweat, and Damie was kind of losing steam. We had been working for almost two hours and the dirtiest part was still left to do. I was not exactly amused. Then the home owner came to me and said, "now look ladies, we both know that this was a bit more work than I had originally thought, and it looks like you guys are going to be here a bit more than we had planned so why don't we just agree on $60.00 for the job". I was so happy that she offered, as usually it's like pulling teeth to get people to pay more than discussed, even when they know full well it's worth it. I was so happy, not because of the money so much, but I could slow down and take my time....I was feeling kind of stressed. Now I could do the big part of the job better and all would be happy. Damie and I had noticed she had some books on her dinning room floor regarding the Windsor Fringe Festival and asked what they were about. She said that she is the organizer of the event each year. Damie went on to tell her that we had done theatre in Houston for several years before moving to Canada and had been talking about getting back into it sometime. She was overjoyed by that, she told Damie all about what they do, how they make money, and how gets involved. She wanted us to send her all of our information as she knew we could be used in some paying capacity this year.
Damie and I have felt for a long time that we were kind of missing the involvement of theatre, but didn't exactly know how to go about getting back and then we run into this lady and boom, there it is. What an amazing happenstance. Sometimes you meet the person you are exactly supposed to meet just when you are meant to meet them. I find it incredibly interesting that we should take a cleaning job we didn't really want to take, to be rewarded by it being with someone who could really point us in some great directions. Both Damie and I are excited tonight, hoping this is what we have been looking for, and that maybe just maybe we can get back into doing something we both love to do. What an incredible turn around of a day!

Life is a series of strings, yes?
ReplyDelete