It's spring break here, well in Canada we call it March break since it always happens in March, however we are so highly influenced by America that I think most people now call it spring break.
It's spring break here, and the weather has been amazing. I don't like to use the word amazing much as I think it is too overused, but it has been great weather so far.
We have been busy taking the kid all over the county, it's a better week when you can keep them busy. We belong to a mommies group and luckily there is a wonderful mommies who act's as the "event planner" when it comes to things like this. If it were left up to me, honestly, my kid would do Lego's all day, and maybe go out and ride the bike once in a while. I am grateful for the group!
So far this week he has seen a magician pirate at the mall, gone to a maple syrup demonstration and fun day at a historical homestead, and gone on a nature walk and picnic. Not to mention, we have also taken him all over our hamlet on our bikes. He is getting really good at riding his bike, and becoming more confident every time he goes on. I think this is great, since last year he go "it" and then hardly had an opportunity to actually ride again until this year. I guess the old saying, once you learn to ride a bike you never forget.
It's been a great week, and having Damie home has made it even more enjoyable. I can't remember a spring break that has been so much fun for all of us.
Last night, after spending the morning hiking in the forest, having a picnic and then coming home and going on a really long bike ride int he evening, the kid had a hard time falling asleep. I don't know why this is, I was exhausted, but not him. He was still raring to go at 9, which was an hour after his normal bedtime. We finally got him to go off to bed, but it didn't last long. A few minutes after the lights went out, out he comes to the living room.
This type of behaviour hardly ever happens at our house. He usually falls asleep within minutes and we don't see him again until morning, so when it does happen it kind of takes you aback.
He walks into the living room and says I can't get to sleep because all the animals were cold and took all my blankets!
I have to tell you now, he has at least 30 stuffed animals on his bed. They are mostly pillow pets and angry birds, but some, like his humpback whale has been around since he was a baby. When he was really small he didn't have much at all to do with stuffed animals. In fact, we threw out many of them as he didn't seem to care. Since he turned 6 he has had this thing for them, and can't seem to get enough of them. Every time he sees a new pillow pet he has to have it. It's like crack to him! We usually give in.....I know suckers right!
We went to see what he was talking about in regards to the blankets. He had taken all the blankets on his bed, and there are quite a few, and covered all the stuffies and left nothing for himself.....so cute I might add! We walked over to the bed and told him that we would make sure they all had blankets, but that he needed to have some too! At this point he said well they all have to be in families! So we organized them all in their families and covered them all up, pulled the blankets up to his chin and kissed him goodnight for the second time. We didn't hear from him again!
So much of him is growing up, I miss my baby! I love the way he has grown and become more independent, but sometimes I miss his constant need for me. It's things like the stuffed animal thing that still gives me the warm and fuzzes. He is so big, but yet still so little. He wants to be independent, but he doesn't want us too far away, he loves playing with his friends, but would still rather play with us. This is a great time in his life, and I am loving every minute of it.
No one can ever explain just how much your heart melts on a daily bases when you have a kid. I am constantly feeling it, and wondering if it is possible to love another human being more than I love that little boy. Until you have a child of your own you don't get the whole child parent bond thing. You think you get it by the way you feel about your parents, but it is nothing compared to the way you feel about your child. I remember when I was a kid being so scared that one day my parents would be dead and I would be all alone, it is nothing compared to the feeling I have now that one day I will leave this earth and miss all the things that come after me in his life. It is the scariest thought, yet it is the way it should be right. I can't imagine him having a life without me in it, as much as I can't imagine having a life without him in it, yet he will and I will be glad in it!
Parenthood is such a mess of emotions......more than one would ever imagine. Sure there are more times than I can count that make me want to pull all of my hair out, and there are times I don't think I could get more frustrated with another single person, but most of the time he lights my world and warms my heart and I can't get enough. I wouldn't trade this for the world......honestly!
You are fortunate Marie! So lucky to have a child and feel that love! Enjoy it! So many of us who aren't able truly miss out on such a wonderful opportunity! I am envious!
ReplyDeleteHeidi
Heidi, I am sorry to hear you can't have kids. Sometimes I think those who can't become the best child lovers in the world. All of a sudden you are a better aunt, cousin etc. I know it is nothing like having your own. I feel for those who want them and just can't.
DeleteI tell ya, if you ever want to borrow Zeb for a day I will be happy to lend him out :)
When my daughter was younger, it used to never fail to amaze me that we would spend a busy day at the zoo or riding bikes, etc. and I would be asleep on my feet at 8 p.m. and there she would be still awake and bushy tailed.
ReplyDeleteArgh!
We have also been having amazing weather here in ChiTown. We are now on week 3 of unseasonably warm weather. It's going to be in the 70s this week. We had some days that were 86 last week!! What the hell!?
ReplyDeleteAfter fun days like that, the kids are running on an adrenaline high, which is why they can't sleep. ;-)
My son, also, has a "thing" for stuffed animals. However, he's EIGHTEEN, and still wants them! Oy!
I think the weather that hits ChiTown, comes right across Michigan and hit's us at the boarder. I have to say, I love the weather but it's a little scary to think how unusual it is.
DeleteI sure hope my son doesn't do this stuffed animal thing until he's eighteen, I don't have room in my house for them LOL!!