Contact Me

I love getting comments, however some people just want to send a email instead. You can contact me at
zebsmom@gmail.com

Friday, February 10, 2012

I need to remember to comb my hair in the morning!

After Zeb left for school yesterday, Damie and I were sitting at the kitchen table enjoying one more cup of tea.  It's so quiet after he is off to school, the house seems deafening quiet.  I am not complaining mind you, I love the quiet that follows the chaos.

Getting Zeb off to school is no small feet.  If you are a parent I am sure you know all too well.  Zeb is not exactly a great eater.  Actually, if he could live on cookies he would be great.  The medication he takes makes his appetite very small, if there is one at all, so we have to work really hard to get him to eat. This is made even more difficult in the mornings as he is not one of those people who really likes to eat when they first get up.  Most mornings we have to resort to dragging him out of his bed, so that makes having a leisurely meal impossible.  He usually has just enough time to get something in his mouth and then dressed and groomed, so no, he can't sit around for a half hour before he wants to start eating.   When he does make it to the kitchen to eat his breakfast it is a non stop recording of, "come on Zeb eat" or "Zeb you are not eating, come on you are running out of time".  That is on repeat for 20 minutes until he has to go get dressed and washed to head out to the bus stop.  The whole time this is going on he is chatting up a storm, the dog is going crazy and we are trying to eat our breakfast.  It's usually quite crazy and quite loud, but as soon as he puts that first foot on the bus our lives become very peaceful.


I had just got up from the table to get something when I noticed that there was a SUV parked on our street in kind of a strange way.  I told Damie about it, and she got up to take a look as well.  We just decided they must have been visiting the neighbour and went back to our tea and forgot about it.  A few minutes later the door bell rang, and our peaceful morning was interrupted.


The dog hates the doorbell, she goes out of her skin in craze.  We never had a doorbell until we moved here, so this thing that goes off is just beyond understanding for our less than intelligent Goldendoodle.

Damie gets up and starts towards the door, I sheepishly follow staying just out of view.  It was at this point that I suddenly realized I had on yesterdays clothes with the big coffee stain on the front and I hadn't gotten around to even looking at the mirror let alone actually combing anything.   She opens the door to discover two ladies on the other side.  The dog is running in circles barking her crazy head off, so Damie moved outside so she could hear what these ladies wanted. 

Damie came in a few minutes later and was kind of pissed.  I was like "who was that, and what did they want?"   Damie went and sat down and then started shaking her head and said " damn, things are different here in Canada, in Texas it's a couple of boys on bikes wearing red ties."  And then I got it, they were Jehovah Witness's.  I couldn't help but laugh out loud, thankful that I wasn't the one that answered the door.  I said to Damie "so what did you say to them?"  "The same thing I always tell them, that we are Jewish."  This is particularly funny since we have not yet removed all of the Christmas decorations from the outside of our house and while she was saying that to them they were standing under our nicely hung lights.  I asked her what they said when she told them that and she said they said they were there to discuss armageddon and that she just told them we weren't worried about that.

I have never had a problem with others belief's in their religion, in fact I have always found it all to be a great way to learn about others.  I do however have a problem when they feel that they need to shove it down my throat.  It is not because they come to my home, but it has to do more with the fact that they want me to take time away from my family to hear what they have to say, they want me to be open minded about what they are saying, but they do not care about anything I might have to say.  I think that if you want me to listen and give you my precious time, they you need to give me the same respect.

We both went right back to our morning, enjoying the peace and quiet and feeling sorry for all our neighbours who were going to have their mornings interrupted.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the laugh Marie! We all have experienced this said interruption and I am glad you continued on with your quiet morning!

    ReplyDelete