Contact Me

I love getting comments, however some people just want to send a email instead. You can contact me at
zebsmom@gmail.com

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Last night it was storming here.  We haven't seen this much snow since sometime in February 2010, so it was kind of exciting.  I had an appointment late in the day in the city and since it was a day off for Zeb we decided we would all go. The plan was to get to the appointment, hang around a bit and then have dinner and come home.  The snow was just starting when we left but we didn't give it much thought. By the time we were heading home it was coming down pretty good.  We live in the middle of no where.  Well, we actually live in a very small hamlet on the shores of Lake Erie, and getting to our little community means taking various back roads. None of the roads we needed to travel had been touched by a plow or even salt for that matter, so the going was slow.  I think I was driving Damie crazy with my passenger seat driving.  She was nervous, I don't know why these people from Texas don't get how to drive in snow heehee!  I know she was white knuckling it, because I know I was.  Boy,  I used to live in the snow belt where this amount of snow wasn't even noticed, but I have certainly got out of the habit.  I can say that by the time we got home, neither Damie or I had any nails left!!

After getting Zeb to bed, which was no easy feat due to the fact that  he had been rewarded with a new skylander for having such a wonderful week at school,  Damie and I were getting ready to relax and enjoy a little TV.  It was almost nine o'clock and I was looking around for something to watch when a movie caught my eye. 

I am a chick flick, drama kind of girl.  Sometimes if the cast is good I will watch a slap sticky movie, but for the most part it is chick flicks.  Not tonight.

I have to start by saying that this is not the kind of film I would ever really choose, but this one sounded like it had a good cast and the story sounding compelling.  Usually when I come across a movie I have never heard of, which happens often because we don't watch commercials here and never know what is out, coming out, or has been out, I go to the computer and read reviews.  Not this time and am I kicking myself for it.  I am totally scarred by this movie. All I can hope for at this point is that the images in my head go away someday!  I can't remember being this scarred since seeing "The Strangers".  The movie was called "The Killer Inside Me" and I have to say, don't do it if you haven't already!!

The cast was Casey Affleck, which I have to say I don't know much about so seeing something with him in it appealed to me.  Kate Hudson, who is usually good in everything I have seen, and Jessica Alba.

This movie is extremely violent, and the violence against women is beyond anything that should ever be put on film.  I actually can't believe any woman with any morals would ever agree to do such a film.  I think that any man who would be interested in telling this story has to have a real problem with women, and anyone man who would choose to do such a film as the lead has to have a few screws loose.  I guess that is why Casey Affleck is the lead.  He doesn't have much of a name, none in fact if weren't for his older brother.  I guess the thinking in all three cases is, I take the money and damn the message.  Personally, I couldn't do anything like this and feel good about it.  If my kids couldn't watch it, even when age appropriate, and no age is appropriate with this one, I just couldn't do it.

Honestly, it surprises me to no end that anyone would think for one minute that any group of people would be interested in supporting such a depiction of this story.  There are just things that are better not seen.  I really hope this is not the trend in violence, since we have become immune to the amount of violence we have been seeing in movies.  This tops all that I have ever seen.  I never ever want to become numb to this sort of violence, and would have a problem with anyone who could watch this film and not feel completely outraged.

I will say that the acting in this film was very good.  Casey Affleck created a character that was true, and mesmerising.  If it weren't for the brutality, this thing actually could have had some legs.  It it so shocking and so disturbing it is impossible to watch.  The story was intelligently written, and the beauty of the scenes were compelling, but the total abuse on women was more than I could stand. 

It seemed very telling to me that the viewers were involved in all of the violence involving women,  so much so that you have to look away or else you will become ill, however, for the most part, any involving men were left off screen.  Even when it came to the final demise of the lead it was all left to our imagination. This tells me that the director of this film has a really big problem with women, and that is actually the story he wanted to tell.

Do you self a favor, and don't see this movie ever.  You are not missing anything, in fact what you are missing is terrible images that you are going to have a hard time shaking if you do see it.

1 comment:

  1. Ok. Absolutely will not see the film...

    And god...I detest snow. More is forecast for us on Monday and I am just crabby about that. Bing is an excellent driver in it. I suck. Big time.

    ReplyDelete