The spring before Zeb was born, Damie and I were in Sam's Club shopping one day. We were spending lots of time looking at all the stuff, I can spend an entire afternoon in that store and buy nothing. I love walking around, tasting all the little samples they give you, and looking at all the *things* I could buy. I was pregnant, in my first trimester and everything sounded good to me.
We eventually found ourselves in the clothing section. I am not really one to buy myself things but they had these sweat shirts on sale. It was the end of the season, and it was Texas so they were really marked to clear and I couldn't resist. I picked up two, one in a nice blue colour and the other was a dark pink/burgundy, for 10 bucks how could you go wrong?
The sweat shirts went into the closet and stayed there until we moved to Canada, five months after Zeb was born.
That first winter we were living in the Niagara region. It is such a beautiful area, but I was unaware of how much snow they got, or I was just out of practice having lived in Houston Texas for almost 5 yrs.
Those two sweat shirts got me though all those cold days, and wintry nights.. I loved them so much, the more I wore them the better they felt. There warmth was just right, enough to keep me warm but not too much that I felt hot inside. They molded to my body after a while, like a nice worked in pair of leather gloves. They fit me to a T.
These sweat shirts have walked my baby with me, opened presents on Christmas morning with me, been the soft place my baby rested his head against just before sleep. I haven't been without these two comfortable friends for six years. They are like a nice pair of jeans that you have worn almost out, but feel so good on and just fit you right in all the right places.
Last year the pinkish/burgundy one started to really show it's age, so much so that Damie thought it might be a good idea to throw it out. I said no, not yet, I can't replace this kind of sweat shirt so I will just live with all the frayed edges and wear marks. She would smile every time I came out the bedroom with it on, seeing how much I loved it, but how badly it looked, but she never mentioned throwing them out again.
This year they have got me though many a difficult moment. They have keep me warm through the sickness of my dad, the stresses of Damie's job loss, the difficult times with Zeb and his ADHD. These two faithful sweat shirts have keep me safe and warm, and they have done a good job.
It is now time to say goodbye to one, although I hate to separate the two, only one has seen the end. It's difficult to say goodbye to such a faithful friend, but yet is must be.
I will miss you, but your job is done. You have done all that you were intended to do, and then some, and for that I will eternally grateful. You must go my friend, but you will never be forgotten.
I sure do hope I can find another one like that one someday!
No comments:
Post a Comment