Contact Me

I love getting comments, however some people just want to send a email instead. You can contact me at
zebsmom@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

OXY

This past Saturday night, after having a nice dinner out with the family I began to get a pain just below my rib cage.  I thought I was too full, a feeling I hate but know all too well.  The great thing about feeling too full, in a couple of hours you feel better and by morning you are ready to do it all over again.  Well, this time the pain didn't get better, it got worse and worse and worse.

By about midnight I was unable to stand, sit, lay down, without enormous amounts of pain.  In fact, if I even tried to sit or lay the pain got worse.  So I stood hunched over holding myself up with my arms, by the bed.  I couldn't believe the pain, it just wouldn't go away no matter how I positioned myself.  Damie had enough and by 1 am we were heading down the highway on the 40 minute drive to the hospital.

The ride in was so painful, I tried to close my eyes and imagine other things, but the pain wouldn't let me.  Every once in a while I let out a little moan, just to relieve some of the discomfort, and to make sure Damie knew I was still alive.  Zeb was in the back seat, not saying much but every once in awhile he would ask if I was going to be okay.  I felt bad for the little bugger, up in the middle of the night with one of his mommas sicker than a dog.

We reached the hospital in all I could do was stand at a desk in the lobby and wait while Damie gave all the information, I was lucky to have had her, I couldn't have done any of this alone.  The nurse triage me, and I went right in.  She too all my vitals, took blood and asked me to get into a gown.  I did what she asked and then I walked around the emergency patient area, hoping that they would do something about the pain sooner rather than later.

After being in the emergency room for 2 hrs 40 mins they started a morphine drip, and after two bags I was good to go.  The relief was amazing, night and day.  I couldn't believe that I didn't die.  I would live.  I had successfully made it through my very first organ problem, and it was my gallbladder.

I have to tell you, the pain was worse than labour.  With labour you get these intense moments of pain, but there is relief in the middle.  It comes and it goes, not with organ pain.  It is just sharp and non stop.

The ER doc sent me home with a script, that you betcha I had filled first thing the next day.  Now, if there is a next time, I can get relief quicker and maybe miss the ER trip. 

Pain drugs are no joke, and should never be taken lightly.  I don't anticipate ever actually having to take this med, but I will if I should ever feel that way again.  There is a need for strong pain relievers, for things like this where there is no way to get through it without relief.  It is really too bad that some people feel the need to abuse these much needed medications, as I know now what real pain feels like. 

Now I can say, I have had a gallbladder attack and lived to tell about it.

4 comments:

  1. I have heard from a friend that gall bladder pain is really bad, also my daughter had a kindey stone years ago and she said having her baby was less painful.
    Hope you are ok now and you don't get anymore trouble.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am okay now, thank the Lord above!! I have heard that a kidney stone is just as bad as what I had. I feel for your daughter. I do hope I never get this again!

      Delete
  2. so you didn't have surgery--i hope you don't have problems again--i know how that feels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get surgery. I think you have to have an ongoing problem to justify surgery in this country. I hope this was the end of it, but we will have to see~

      Delete