It's April first, and this is no joke.
I have decided to do the blogging A-Z challenge this year, and although I am not sure I will have the time daily to do this, I am sure going to try.
Today is day one, which means that it's an A word....well, the word I have come up with for this, the beginning of the challenge is alarm. Why alarm, well I don't have a great reason behind it, I actually just opened an dictionary and picked the first "A" word I found, and alarm was it.
When Zeb was in daycare, I think he might have been three, there was a day that would forever change his life. This particular day the fire alarms kept going off, and it ended up forever scaring my kid.
His daycare was at the college here where we live. It was a wonderful place to put your child, great care, two way mirrors, and lots of various kinds of kids for my kid to get to know. I loved the school, loved the teachers, and until this particular day felt that there was nothing there that would ever hurt my kid.
Apparently there were some students in the college that day that thought it was funny to go around all day pulling fire alarms. Well, this was not funny to my kid....or to his two moms. He came home that day like he had been in a war zone with bombs going off left and right. He was scared, shaken and really beside himself. Nothing we said or did made him feel better about the day, he was scared.
To this day fire alarms set him off, like nothing else we have ever encountered. He is afraid of fire, afraid of even the thoughts of fire, and certainly gave up the slightest thought of ever being a fireman...not that he ever expressed that desire, but he never ever suggested that to us like any other none scared boy would.
Alarms are funny things, some come in small intuitions, some come as loud head banging sounds. I often have small alarms go off in my head when I know something isn't right, doesn't feel good, or when I know I have done something I should have. It's a 6th sense with me. When I hear that soft feeling in my head I have two choices, to either listen to it, or not. If I don't listen to it, it gets louder and louder until I do. I have learned over the years to listen to the soft sound, before it gets so loud it make me feel sick.
Alarms are great things, they warn us of danger, both real and figurative. I feel bad for my little boy, who never wants to hear another alarm for the rest of his life, but I am grateful to the soft telling ones I get.
Hope you enjoy my A-Z challenge, stay tuned daily.....
Sorry about little boy, I hope the fear of alams would not stay for long...
ReplyDelete