Contact Me

I love getting comments, however some people just want to send a email instead. You can contact me at
zebsmom@gmail.com

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Respect

If you are anything like me you have noticed the lack of respect as of late.  It seems like no one really care's about treating people respectfully, unless it suits their purposes.  I, for one, and getting a bit tired of it.

Raising a boy is difficult, if you have tried you know.  I am not saying it's any more or less difficult than raising a girl, but I know nothing about raising a daughter, so I am only going to speak of what I know.  We are always trying to teach him ways in which to act respectfully.  It's no simple task, but we are up for the challenge.

Teaching a child to respectful starts with being respectful to your parents and to yourself.  We have taught our son to show respect to others,  and to himself.  We have taught him to ask three questions when dealing with others.  Question 1, Was it kind? Question 2, Was it safe, and finally Question 3, was it respectable?  We have done this because we feel if he can answer yes to all three questions he is doing the right thing.  Of course this is a work in progress, it always is when dealing with a child, but we are trying and that's what's important.  For the most part our little guy does right by others more than he doesn't.  Sure he makes mistakes, things he is not proud of, but with ever mistake an opportunity is opened. 

People in general have lost the art of respect.  When I was a kid I was told to respect my elders.  That meant almost anyone with gray hair, and almost anyone older than 20.  Well, for the most part we did that, only the daredevils ever talked back to a teacher, or a parent for that matter.  Now, well we all know that kids talking back has become more normal than not.  Parents have forgotten how important it is for their children to speak correctly to others.  It really shows more about the parent than the child.  I know for me, when I see a child talking back to their elders I know that speaks to how they are being raised.

Teaching a boy to open doors for other's is another thing we attempt to do regularly.  He does a great job with that.  We have taught him that he opens doors for all, not just females.  I think it's important to show respect no matter what the sex is.  If I had a daughter I would also teach her to open doors for others, it's just respectful.  How many times do you come to a door and have the person in front just hurry in and not even so much as look behind.  I know it happens to me often.

The other day I was on an elevator.  It was just me, my partner and a man whom we did not know.  When it came to get off at our floor the man pushed his way in front of us and hurried on his way.  Both me and my partner looked at each other is disbelief.  It's really gotten that bad out there folks.

You see disrespect on the roads daily.  Everyone needs to get there a split second before everyone else no matter what it takes.  I can't tell you how many times I have come up to construction and there are people who continue down the road until they can push in front of those who actually moved into the right lane.  This drives me crazy, not just because it's rude and disrespectful, but it's dangerous as well.  You get cut off in traffic all the time.  It's just become a way of life nowadays.  What ever happened to letting others go first.  I just don't get why people feel more important than others in this respect.  I just don't get why being in front is so important.  Life isn't a race is it....it isn't for me.  I think living like it a marathon is so much simpler than thinking it's some sort of sprint.

Respect is something that is earned??  Is it really, I don't think so.  I really think that respect is something that is a given until proven otherwise.  I really think if we were all just a little more respectable, more in tune to others around us, and actually gave a crap, we would really be in a better place.    It sure would make your day go nicer, and you wouldn't have so many wrinkles and ulcers.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree. I was always brought up to respect other people and rude people drive me nuts. It amazes me how many fully-grown adults seem to have never learned the words 'please' and 'thank you'.
    angelinetrevena.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete