I don't eat a lot on a daily basis. My diet consists of mostly lean meats, low fat dairy, veggies and fruit. On a normal day I consume between 55 and 70 grams of protein, and for the most part that protein comes from chicken, turkey, shrimp and once a day I have a good quality protein drink. There are days I will eat some carbs that don't come from fruits and vegetables, but not many and always whole grains. It's pretty uneventful for the most part, I don't have many exciting meals, but then again I am trying to learn what my body needs and only consume that fuel and nothing else.
For the most part I feel great, nothing really negative to report other than the incredible amounts of gas I have. It is like no other gas I have ever experienced in my life.
The other day I was in the car with my family jokingly saying that my gas is like mustard gas coming out of my a$$...I should bottle it and go after all the bad guys in the world. It's pretty intense and a little annoying, I must say.
I know, maybe this is too much information, but it is what my life has become. After having bariatric surgery you become consumed by food. All day long you are adding up protein amounts, keeping track of water consumption and trying to burn as many calories as you can. It's an all day obsession, really more so than ever before having the surgery. One would think that after having a surgery like this you could finally put the scale away, not have to worry too much about things like calories, and just go through your day knowing that the weight is going to just come off. That is so far from the case I can't tell you. I think more about food than I ever did before surgery. I have to think about every single thing I put in my mouth, and not only that, but I have to also think about how I eat that food, how often I drink, when I drink, and if I have done it right today.
After you have surgery your whole eating process changes. You cannot drink 1/2 hour before meals, and not for at least 1/2 hour after. The farther you are out of surgery increases the time after meals that you can drink. An example of that is, now that I am almost 7 months out of surgery I eat more food at meals, which means that my pouch is full with solid foods. In order for my pouch to do any digestion I have to give it time to do so, therefore I do not drink anything for at least 45 minutes after meals. Right after surgery I was only eating fluids, for 4 weeks. During that time I didn't have to worry about when I could drink after meals as it was all the same, and all moved at the same pace. Before surgery I thought that drinking was going to be my biggest challenge, but it's not, it has actually come very naturally. I don't miss not drinking as I eat, surprisingly. I do miss not drinking after I'm done, but it's getting better.
Other than sticking to the rules and knowing what I should be doing on a daily basis, this has come pretty easily for me. I wouldn't change a thing, I made the absolute best decision for me when I decided to do this, and I am healthier than I have been in years. No regrets whatsoever!!
That all sounds pretty complicated! I'd hate to have to think about all of that before I ate!
ReplyDelete