I love musical Theatre, I always have.
When I was a young girl I volunteered, through my Pathfinder group, at all of the productions in my small home town. I remember seeing "Annie Get Your Gun" and "South Pacific" just to name a couple. These were good, but I knew there had to be more to musical theatre than those old standards. Then one day I was asked to help with the town's production of "Fiddler on the Roof" and I was hooked, line and sinker.
Later, as an adult I worked at a musical Theatre in Houston Texas. It was a small company, but the size didn't have anything on the talent. They were a talented group of people, and the shows they put on reflected that. I was able to do many things while working there, everything from principal dresser to stage management and I even acted in a couple of shows myself. I loved the work, I loved what I did, more than any job I had ever had.
Over those years working there I was able to see many, many different musicals. I would have to say that my all time favorite was "Parade", by Jason Robert Brown. This particular show had been on Broadway, but didn't have much of a life there. For me it's the best musical ever made. I loved the story, it had me from the beginning to the end. If you don't know the story of Leo Frank you should.
Mr. Leo Frank was a young professional man who was from New York, but married a small town girl from Georgia. Leo was meek, quiet and not at all someone you would think would ever be accused of what he was, in fact, accused of. He maintained his innocence, and did whatever it took to convince everyone, including his non-believing wife of it. When there was finally a light at the end of his very long tunnel the unspeakable happened. Something that could only happen in the south to a Jewish man.
The story is timeless, even though it deals with attitudes that do not reflect that of most people today. You can identify with him, with his plight, and with the way in which his wife finally comes to his side and stands by him! I just love this musical.
A few years ago we went to New York. We had planned on seeing two musicals while there, and we chose "Sweeney Todd" and "The Snow Show". Both were outstanding. Sweeney Todd is one of my favorites, I have had the opportunity to see it several times. The Broadway production was definitely enhanced by Patti Lupone as Mrs. Lovett and Micheal Cerveris as Todd. However, I really loved Slava's Snowshow. This is an experience performance. There are no words, only loveable clowns (no, not the scary kind) and a great deal of snow. I have never experienced theatre like this, and will likely never again. This show was off Broadway, but so should have been right there among all the other great productions. It is no longer in New York. It is currently touring all over the world so if you get a chance to see the "Snowshow" do, you will not be disappointed.
My son loves theatre as well....the apple doesn't fall from and all that. His love is much more intense than I would have ever expected. I thought he would love it, but his is just driven by it. His drive is very contagious, and sure makes getting him to the next best thing very important to us. I hope he always has this love, there really isn't anything like live theatre.
If you haven't gone in a while, go buy a ticket and get out there. Feel the excitement...
No comments:
Post a Comment