I truly believe in Karma, not because I am Hindu, Jain, Buddhist, or Sikh, but because I have actually witnessed it happening.
I think for the most part we all believe the saying "What goes around comes around". I know I do. Does that mean I don't do things wrong, of course not, I am human after all. What it does mean is I try very hard not to do things to others that I would not appreciate done to me. I am not always successful, and have put my foot it more than once, yet I try everyday to do my best.
I know in my own life I have seen the effects of karma, both to me and to others. For a long time I lived a life that I would have to describe as not being my authentic self, to use a wonderful Oprah catch phrase. I wasn't going around hurting people or making others lives difficult, but I wasn't being truly honest to myself of others as to how I was living my life. I justified this by saying I'm not hurting anyone, and no one has to know that difference, but you know what I'm going to say next...it all caught up to me anyways.
This lesson was a hard one, as I then spent several years trying to repair myself and my life from all those years of not living real. No, no one was hurt, except me, but karma sure did come back and bite me, as you would say. I have learned that it just doesn't pay to try to be, or live in a way that you shouldn't, that isn't really you or true.
There are people who go through life treating everyone badly, I'm sure you know some of those people, everyone has at least one in their lives. The just go through life taking, never giving, and don't give a single moments thought to others around them. If you are like me you question from time to time why it is that they get away with that, and why is it that we don't get to see them get theirs. Well that's the funny thing about karma isn't it. We don't always get to see how it comes back to them, sometimes it takes a really long time for it to, and if we are lucky we have disposed of those people long before they ever reap what they have sowed.
Now, isn't that funny how in the last sentence in my last paragraph I used the saying "reap what they have sowed", that comes from the Bible, it is a lesson taught in various books with in it. Isn't it funny how at the beginning I said that I believe in karma and then listed that I do despite the fact that I am not Hindu, Jain, Buddhist, or Sikh. It seems there isn't a religion out there that doesn't have some sort of belief in what we see and describe as karma. Again, we are much more alike than different aren't we.
It would be lovely to actually see those who should get theirs get it, but that is not always our gift. I think that for me at least, rather than sit and wait to see the guy who was a real jerk to me get his, I would much rather just be grateful that I am not him, and I also that I don't have to put up with him anymore.
Karma is a great thing, so glad it's out there for all of us to watch and to fear....
I'm not so sure that I believe in karma. Then again, it does make sense if it's about bad things happening to good people because of what those good people did in past lives (i.e. bad things). I don't really think I believe in past lives either, but I'm open to possibilities! Anyway, that's the only way I can think that karma does exist - if there are truly past lives.
ReplyDeleteGreat entry, I also totally believe in Karma and have seen things go full circle.
ReplyDeletei am just glad, i don't get what i deserve----good topic!!
ReplyDelete